Tuesday, February 19, 2013

R U listening?

Have you noticed that you are repeating yourself more often? Or maybe feel like what you just said wasn't heard at all?  I know I'm feeling both of these.  Is it that everyone I know is suddenly hard of hearing? Or maybe I'm mumbling.  I don't think so!  I think in this high tech world where we are supposed to be able to keep in touch easier than ever, we are paying less attention to each other.  Next time you go out to eat, look at the people at the tables around you.  Are they deep in conversation? Doubtful.  Are they even looking at each other? Probably not.  I'm not sure they are even aware there is another person at the table!  In my experience, they are on their smartphones, tablets and similar devices checking the weather, their email, updating their profile (no one really cares that you are out to eat with whomever is sitting across from you) or playing games!

We recently were out to eat and observed a family.  Both of the parents were on their respective devices and hardly spoke a word to each other or their beautiful young daughter (I'm guessing around 4-5 years old).  In this busy world we live in, where in most cases, both parents are having to work outside of the home, what a waste of an opportunity to spend time together.

I'm not against the use of our great technology, I'm typing this blog on my tablet now.  But we cannot forget to connect to each other when we are together and our children need us to teach them the art of conversation!

No comments:

Post a Comment